March 22, 2010

Ensoniq ESQ-1

I bought this off of eBay broken. Thought it would be a fun project. I still do, but it turns out it is more broken than I thought it was. It only plays the stock piano sound and the screen is messed up:

Screen ESQ-1

The ESQ-1 is a rad synth. It has digital oscillators and analog filters, three LFOs, a cool envelope generator, and a built in 8 track sequencer. You can actually program this thing to sound like a techno-type drum kit. It's sick. I just need to get it to work. I have a feeling, at the very least, I will have to get the EPROMs (the thing that stores the OS) reprogramed.

I tried a hard reset, grounding the battery (to reset the RAM), checking the voltages form the power supply,  and checking to make sure all the chips are properly seated. I need to go over everything and clean off any corrosion. If it still doesn't work I think I will have to send the EPROMS away to get re-programmed.

Since I took it apart, here are some pictures:

Ensoniq ESQ-1

Ensoniq ESQ-1

Ensoniq ESQ-1

Ensoniq ESQ-1

I'll probably get around to some more trouble shooting over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment