December 7, 2009

Yamaha DX7 Key Repair: Screw the parts.

All of them.

I made several discoveries over the weekend. One was a "Doh!" moment. Basically, to remove a key, all you have to do is lift up the top panel and take out the white spacer. After that the keys can be easily removed.

I made this discovery by being lazy. I was not very motivated this weekend to start taking things apart, but I was curious to see if i could fix the DX7 once and for all after someone left a comment on Part 2. Lazyness paid off and everything became much easier.

I also discovered what was wrong with the keys, and it is more or less what I thought was wrong with them. When I was cleaning the keys I carelessly put them back in place, bending some of the contacts. This caused the key either not to turn off when released, or not make any sound at all, depending on how it was bent. I was able to fix most of them from the top, however, there are about eight keys that I think I will have to go back into the keyboard and fix from the bottom. The broken keys are marked with blue dry-erase marker.

Wish me luck.

Part 1
Part 2

2 comments:

  1. Thanks a million! Your tutorial saved me a lot of time checking out how it works! Thank very much for sharing your experience! Greets from Landshut/Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing such useful information. I wanted to suggest you that you should also tell your visitors that there are some Yamaha Repairing and Servicing Manuals available in the market that allows the rider to easily repair their bikes without the need of mechanic.

    ReplyDelete