May 2, 2010

Roland S-770: Who would have thought I need this old stuff?

On a whim I bought a Roland S-770 sampler. It was made in 1989. Stock it features 1MB of memory, expandable to 16MB. The one I bought has the full 16MB. It has ADSR filters and come cool editing capabilities for 1989, however, I have not used it yet. The internal hard drive, used to store the samples (a full 40MB hard drive!) was busted. It turned on, but when it searched for a hard drive there was a clicking-grinding noise, so I can't use it yet. Eventually I will swap the floppy drive with a Zip drive (and that will replace the hard drive too), but for now I've been trying to get it to fully start up. This requires booting the thing from a floppy drive. The fun part is that it will only take a 770kb DD floppy. I am not sure that I have actually ever seen one of those before, 1.44MB yes, but not 770kb.

Zip drives and DD floppies. Who would have thought I'd be needing these things in 2010.

Anyway, here be some guts:

IMG_2764

IMG_2765

IMG_2766

IMG_2767

No comments:

Post a Comment