October 16, 2009

A 5-Way Problem

For some reason, I have never been good with 5-way switches, the ones you find in Fender guitars. I have no idea why. It should be simple, but I have never been able wire one correctly. I have a theory though. More of a hypothesis, actually. The only guitars that I have tried to re-wire have been Japanese or Chinese knock-off guitars (the Monster guitar, and another one that I bought in China...I should write about that one, its really cool).

My hypothesis is that because they are not actually made by Fender, or any relatively known guitar maker, the switches are weird. I've searched the Internet and every wiring diagram I find doesn't work. So I guess its time to buy a real 5-way switch, made by a company people have heard of. Next trip to Guitar Center. I really want to finish that guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment