October 20, 2009

The Monster Tamed

It was a wet and, well wet Saturday. I was feeling antsy and needed to do something. I needed to get something to work, anything really, and I didn't have a lot to spend buying $60+ worth of tubes. So I got into my car and headed to Guitar Center. After playing with the keyboards for an hour I headed to the check out counter and bought a new 5-way switch. Made by Fender, not a wacky Chinese company.

I went home, wired everything up, banged on the pickups with a screwdriver, and got sound! Hit the switch to turn on the distortion, no sound. So, you know what? Screw it. I removed the distortion circuit to work on independently and put the guitar back together.

Two things now:

1) The bridge pickup is out of phase with the middle and neck, causing a very thin (and not in a cool way) sound.

2) The volume pot sucks. Damn Chinese piece of crap stuff. When you touch it or move it slightly, it completely cuts the sound.

Both are really simple fixes. I should be able to do 'em both in 30 min, just need a new 500kA pot. I'll post pictures of it tonight. I'm quite happy with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment