February 10, 2010

Electronic Components Part 1: V

One of the most basic (an most useful) equations in the worlds of electronics is V=IR, known as Ohm's Law. The first three posts will be about the three components of this equation. I will try my hardest to explain everything as simpily as I can. I want this to serve as a solid foundation to build upon in order to cover more complex topics. I want to adress the "why" for these topics too, not just show you equations and how to use them.

The first component of V=IR is V. This is the voltage. It is sometimes represented by an E, short for electromotive force, but that is not quite relevant yet. Just call it voltage for now. A voltage is the electrical potential difference between two points. Now, what does that mean?

Lets say you have closed "circuit" of pipes and the whole thign is full of water. you are able too measure the pressure at two points in this circuit, point A and point B. With the water not moving in the pipes, the two pressures will measure the same. Now, lets add a pump between points A and B. When you turn the pump on the water will start to flow. The pump creates a high pressure area and a low pressure area. Now measure the pressure at points A and B and you will find a pressure difference. If the pipes were actually copper wire and the water electrons, the difference in pressure would be the voltage. This is part of the hydraulic analogy of eletrical circuits. For some reason I was not taught this, but I do find it useful, so I will use these analogies in the next few posts.

But what is a volt? Easy. One joule per coulomb, duh. It is also one watt per ampere. I could go on like this, but I won't.

I'll leave it there for now. Next topic will be current (I).

No comments:

Post a Comment