February 21, 2010

Synth pop?

I have always had a weakness for pop music. Lady GaGa is one example of this, I just can't get enough of her. I also like 80s synth-pop. I also like Nine Inch Nails, so my musical taste is all over the board.

I've been a fan of Gary Numan for a few years now. His songs have a feel and sound that is truly unique. And he sings about robots. I've been waiting to see him live since I first discovered him, but he hasn't come around.

Then there is Little Boots. Watch this video right now. Catchy pop tunes. I discovered her last year when my roommate showed me the video linked above, and I immediately fell in love.

So what do these two people have in common? A love for synthesizers. They joined forces back in December for a 45 minute session at the BBC studios. It is worth watching the entire thing, especially the Lou Reed cover at the end. They do a two solo songs each, then join up for three songs as a duetish sort of thing. Somehow, it works. Really well too, in my opinion.

Watch all five parts, it'll be worth your time.

Part 1
Part2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

The aspect ratio is off on these videos, but it was the only complete version I could find. There are interviews throughout too. Strange how their two different worlds can combine so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment